[Wikipedia-l] Map drawing software

David Gerard fun at thingy.apana.org.au
Fri Jan 14 19:28:33 UTC 2005

Ray Saintonge (saintonge at telus.net) [050115 06:11]:
> Magnus Manske wrote:

> >For those of you interested in automatic map generation for MediaWiki,
> >check out the very first screenshot of my emerging "geo" software:
> >   http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Geo

> This question makes me regret that I don't have the technical skills to
> develop my own vision of a map project that would be subject to the
> principles of wiki editing, notably that anybody can edit any map. Thus:
    [...]
> discussion of this topic so far, it's that it has been infected by a lot
> of in-the-box kind of thinking.  A map project has a far greater
> potential if we look at it from the ground up, and avoid the more
> limited popular focus on the role of maps.

http://www.openstreetmap.org/ is trying to put together an open-content map
for the UK. (Whereas US maps are public domain, UK ones are all owned by
Ordnance Survey.) They might be quite interested. (They gave a presentation
at Dorkbot London and used Wikipedia as their proof of concept ;-)

(Dorkbot: "Poeple doing strange things with electricity":
http://www.dorkbot.org/)

- d.