[Wikipedia-l] Re: Stable versions policy

Brion Vibber brion at pobox.com
Sat Dec 31 23:42:15 UTC 2005

Alphax (Wikipedia email) wrote:
> Jake Nelson wrote:
>> Of course, the second organization taking care of Wikipedia publication
>> idea is a very good one as well. In that case, they'd handle "reader
>> mode" for the most part, and core-Wikipedia would be pretty much
>> strictly an editing project.
>>

> Yeah, helpdesk-l has had quite a few "where can I get a book/CD/DVD/Palm
> version of your content?" emails...

Step 1: Learn German
Step 2: http://www.amazon.de/exec/obidos/ASIN/3866400012
Step 3: :D

For 'hardcopy' (DVDs, books, etc) outsourcing this makes sense, and that's what
we do now. Anybody who wants to put in the effort and money to publish that kind
of stuff can do so, and there's some great folks in Germany doing just that, and
giving back by supporting Wikimedia.

For the web, things are a bit different. Our own web site is out there in the
public eye, seen as the authoritative version, way up in page rank, etc. So it's
up to us to take at least some minimum measures to make sure we're serving the
public. That'll mean making more effort to mark things as changing, recently
changed, unreviewed, etc, and if we have stable/reviewed content making it
reeeeeal easy to see (preferably by default for the random visitor, with the
latest updates a click away).

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)