[Wikipedia-l] Re: Stable versions policy

Bryan Derksen bryan.derksen at shaw.ca
Fri Dec 30 05:16:33 UTC 2005

Alphax (Wikipedia email) wrote:

>Bryan Derksen wrote:
><snip>
>

>>I really think the best solution is just better education for passers-by
>>of how Wikipedia works - more obvious disclaimers, "this is a work in
>>progress" banners, etc. Ideally, stuff that would entice them to
>>contribute themselves when they see problems.
>>

>I agree.

<snip>

>A number of solutions come to mind:
>
>1. Change the bit of [[Mediawiki:]] text to say "the free encyclopedia
>that anyone can edit" (as someone did a few weeks ago)
>
>2. Have stable versions displaying by default

Arg. This solution is exactly what I've been arguing _against_. :) I
like the idea of stable versions but I hate the idea of stable versions
being shown by default. I think showing stable versions by default will
cut off much of the influx of new editors since the "working" Wikipedia
will be hidden from view, and it's something that is better done by our
multitudinous mirrors anyway.