[Wikipedia-l] Wikipedia merchandise at CafePress

Daniel Mayer maveric149 at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 19 23:06:39 UTC 2004

Yann wrote:
>For the future promoting events taking place in France this year (already
>3 events planned in 2004), it would be nice to have a Wikipedia tee-shirt
>in French ("L'encyclopédie libre").

Well we could swap the logos on a weekly basis and therefore have a French
week, English week, German week, Japanese week and so on and/or have a
multilingual shirt:

A small Wikipedia logo on the front corner with just the word "Wikipedia"
below it and wikipedia.org (our future portal!) below that. On the back it
would be covered with translations of

"Edit this page"
"X Wikipedia"
"The Free Encyclopedia"
xx.wikipedia.org

in every language that Wikipedia is in that has more than 1000 articles.

Since that is a lot, maybe that would be the sweatshirt.

Language-specific shirts can have the big logo on back though and translations
of

"Edit this page"
"X Wikipedia"
"The Free Encyclopedia"
xx.wikipedia.org

On the front corner.

We could either have one shop with weekly rotating items or several shops. I
think it would be best to have just one shop since that will encourage people
to keep coming back each week to see what is new or what has come back.

We could also have design contests where the winner wins an item or two with
his/her design on it. That way we could start to amass season-specific logos
and designs.

Either way we are going to have to eventually upgrade the shop. But the way
things are now is fine, IMO. If the shop makes a good amount of money for the
foundation, then we can contemplate an upgrade.

But CafePress has two big problems that I see:

1) it is only in English
2) it only accepts US dollars.

>How much would be the cost for say 300
>pieces? And transportation cost?