[Wikipedia-l] Re: New edit modus

Anthere anthere8 at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 18 18:35:02 UTC 2004

Till Westermayer a écrit:
> . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . till we *) . . .
>
> Hi wikipedia-l,
>
> the server is extremly slow at the moment, so I move this from the
> village pump to here. Eloquence wants to implement a default edit mode
> using click-buttons for formating. This doesn't work with a number of
> browsers. With some, it just doesn't do anything (browser that don't
> support JavaScript). With other browsers which support JavaScript but
> not the right kind, it does funny things (as inserting the formating
> tags not at the cursors place, but at the end of the edited text). One
> of this browsers is Netscape 7.1, and if I understand the discussion at
> the village pump correclty, Mozilla won't work correctly, too. Still,
> Eloquence wants to make this fancy editing mode the default mode --
> which would led to an seemingly unusable wikipedia editing for a number
> of browsers. I must admit that I don't like the introduction of fancy
> editing at all, but if we introduce it, it either should work with *all*
> browsers currently used, or it should be off by default.
>
> What do you think?
>
> Best regards,
>
> Till

What do I think ?

I concluded from numerous browser experiments to work *with* Wikipedia,
that the only browser I could use, that supported utf8, was Netscape7.

If Netscape7 may not be used any more on Wikipedia, I will revert to
Opera 5.
Those supporting this proposition will clean up after each of my edits :-)