[Wikipedia-l] New edit modus

Till Westermayer till at tillwe.de
Sun Jan 18 18:18:15 UTC 2004

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . till we *) . . .

Hi wikipedia-l,

the server is extremly slow at the moment, so I move this from the
village pump to here. Eloquence wants to implement a default edit mode
using click-buttons for formating. This doesn't work with a number of
browsers. With some, it just doesn't do anything (browser that don't
support JavaScript). With other browsers which support JavaScript but
not the right kind, it does funny things (as inserting the formating
tags not at the cursors place, but at the end of the edited text). One
of this browsers is Netscape 7.1, and if I understand the discussion at
the village pump correclty, Mozilla won't work correctly, too. Still,
Eloquence wants to make this fancy editing mode the default mode --
which would led to an seemingly unusable wikipedia editing for a number
of browsers. I must admit that I don't like the introduction of fancy
editing at all, but if we introduce it, it either should work with *all*
browsers currently used, or it should be off by default.

What do you think?

Best regards,

Till

 __ .
 / / / /                            ... Till Westermayer - till we *)
. .
  . mailto:till at tillwe.de . www.westermayer.de/till/ . icq 320393072
  . Habsburgerstr. 82 . 79104 Freiburg . 0761 55697152 . 0160 96619179
  . . . . .