[Wikipedia-l] Re: [Wikitech-l] Re: Contributors list

Anthony DiPierro wikilegal at inbox.org
Fri Apr 30 23:58:04 UTC 2004

Well, we don't list *all* contributors for the page.  We only list those
before the "Automated Conversion", for which there were no copy/paste
moves, and for which none of the text was taken from some other public
domain, GFDL, or other source.  And yes, *some* of the contributors
could also be found, maybe, by looking for redirects to that page and
seeing if some of the text which existed before the redirect was made
was copied there, but who wants to do that anyway?

Personally I think the best solution would be a History namespace which
was freely editable, but populated automatically by the software in the
case of standard contibutions.  If you wanted to get fancy, you could
even have a textbox when you submit a modification which says "author"
(pre-filled with your username), and hey while you're at it a checkbox
for "public domain" in which case the history wouldn't be populated at all.

But I haven't coded any of that, and there's a fair chance I never will...

As for 5 "principal authors", really Wikipedia should be listing that
already anyway, so it's tricky there.

 >If the GFDL really requires that list *on the same document* (can't be
really the same page, think printed version again), can't we declare the
whole wikipedia as one giant document in itself?
Well, 5 "principal authors" need to be on the "title page", which
probably "means the text near the most prominent appearance of the
work's title, preceding the beginning of the body of the text," unless
you're going to define the whole wikipedia as one giant document in itself.

In any case, someone with authority over this (Jimbo or the board if
there is one yet) should really make a declaration as to what the
"document" is, what the "title page" is, what the "section entitled
history" is, where the "copyright notices" are (or that there are none,
which isn't really compliant with the GFDL), where the "transparent
copy" is (the URL of which should be in the document), etc.  And
remember, all of this (the history, the title page, the copyright
notices) is supposed to be to be contained inside whatever the
"document" is, and the transparent copy thereof.  Of course, the easier
solution (which is far from easy) would be to just abandon the GFDL and
use a simpler existing license or a custom one.

Anthony