[Wikipedia-l] A Fair Use Question

The Zellers Family mzellers at pacbell.net
Fri Apr 16 07:28:19 UTC 2004

I was writing a Wikipedia entry for Virgil Fox (the organist) and I wanted
to quote his introduction to the Bach Toccata and Fugue in Dm (BWV565) from
the album "Heavy Organ" because I thought that it nicely summed up his
approach to music (especially as constrasted with that if E. Power Biggs),
but I didn't want to run afoul of the copyright police, so I thought I'd
ask here first.

The quote is:

''There is current in our land (and several European countries) at this
moment a kind of nit-picking worship of historic im-po-tence.  They say,
they say, that Bach must not be interpreted and that he must have no
emotion, his notes speak for themselves.  You want know what that is?  Pure
unadulterated rot!  Bach has the red blood. He has the communion with the
people.  He has all of this amazing spirit and imagine that you could put
all the music on one side of the agenda with his great interpretation and
great feeling and put the greatest man of all right up on top of a dusty
shelf underneath some glass case in a museum and say that he must not be
interpreted!  They're full of you know what and they are so untalented that
they had to hide behind this thing 'cause they couldn't get in the House of
Music any other way!''

I would argue that it would fall under any reasonable definition of fair
use, but I'd like to get a second opinion before I cause any trouble.

Just for future reference, assuming quoting the text is permissible, where
would attaching an MP3 of that introduction fall?   I don't think it is
worth it in this case, but I was just wondering where the edges are.

Is there a standard way to footnote such entries?

Thanks,

Mark H. Zellers