[Wikipedia-l] Patent idea

Arvind Narayanan arvindn at meenakshi.cs.iitm.ernet.in
Thu Apr 1 14:04:51 UTC 2004

On Thu, Apr 01, 2004 at 02:44:01PM +0100, Timwi wrote:

> Hey!
>
> We were looking for something we came up with that we could patent,
> right? And we were specifically looking for something that would make
> fun of the idea of patenting itself.
>
> Here's an idea.
>
> For those who don't yet know, a company called Ideaflood has patented
> the idea of allocating sub-domains to particular users (or user
> accounts) of a website. So, for example, LiveJournal is now being asked
> for licensing fees because if you purchase an account at LiveJournal,
> you get a sub-domain "yourusername.livejournal.com".
>
> How about we patent the idea of using language codes as sub-domains?

Sounds fun to me.

Next up: the idea of using the title of an article to construct
its URL!

After all, no other encylopedia has been doing this :) (had a
quick look at britannica.com and encarta.com)

More suggestions: simulating nested comments using wiki editing.

Hell, every source file in MediaWiki can get a patent for whatever
it implements.

Arvind

> Ideaflood's patent claim is pretty weak because there is "prior art"
> (i.e. people have done this before the patent was filed), but I'm not
> sure I have ever seen a website that uses language codes as subdomains
> before Wikipedia did. They all seem to prefer something like
> www.domain.tld/en/index.html or www.domain.tld/index.en.html (with "en"
> being the language code) rather than en.domain.tld.
>
> Just an idea,
> Timwi

Its all GNU to me