[Wikipedia-l] Re: European domains

Ashar Voultoiz thoane at altern.org
Fri Nov 7 01:40:06 UTC 2003

On Tue, 4 Nov 2003 09:59:20 -0800, Jimmy Wales wrote:

> An anonymous contributor has donated 200 EUR for European domains.
>
> Normally I register via register.com, because I have been happy with
> their 'automatic renewal' service, but with this wikipedia.de fiasco,
> obviously that isn't a good enough reason.
>
> So, I'm looking for advice on:
>
> 1.  Cheap places to register the domains
>
> 2.  Which domains we ought to register.  Presumably we should
> prioritize in order of popularity somehow?
>
> Possibly some other eager patron would like to subsidize the purchase
> of domains for another region of the world?  (Pacific rim?)
>
> --Jimbo

Hello Jimbo,

For france one need to pass through a registrar to get the french domain.
You will have to either own a trademark name, be a company in france, an
association.

This will lead you to domain such as:

wikipedia.tm.fr (trademark)
wikipedia.fr (company)
wikipedia.asso.fr (association)
everyone can get a nom.fr though (could be like  name.en )

cheers,

--
Ashar Voultoiz
http://fr.wikipedia.org/Utilisateur:Hashar