[Wikipedia-l] IP stuff

Thomas Corell tcorell at igd.fhg.de
Fri May 23 13:41:39 UTC 2003

Guillaume Blanchard wrote:
> About banning people I only mention "massive vandalism".
> Banning people was not the main point to ask to be able to see IP like
> before.
> For me show the IP address of everybody like in Phase I & II is to :
> - Be equal to anonymous users (as for privacy as for banning)
> - Limit multi vote by same user
> - Reduce identity steal
> - Break some suspicion that create very bad atmosphere
> I suppose you had a good reason to remove this feature in Phase III, but I
> don't know it.
> What is for ?
> I really feel that hide IP was "one" of the reason why the ambiance on the
> french wikipedia is deteriorated.

But you know that there are Users with changing IP's? I have minimum
every 24h a new one at home. Will that helps? Or at work: everyboby goes
thought the firewall/proxy. One IP-Address for about 500 users.

I don't think that an IP-Address helps that much.

Smurf
--
IPv6: Every wikipedia article has it's own IP-Address :)
  --- Anthill Inside! ---