[Wikipedia-l] Do we really need a Sifter project?

Daniel Mayer maveric149 at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 27 11:58:55 UTC 2003

Erik wrote:
>I know, but what's the point?
>Why not just kill off Nupedia and
>advertise Wikipedia as a single project?

The point is that a main criticism I always here about Wikipedia is that it is
largely not written by people trained in the areas they are writting. But
that is the whole point of Nupedia. Therefore we take the best of Wikipedia
and put it through the expert approval process and the result is something
that can't be criticized for that reason. Also having a different name makes
it clear that those articles are different than regular Wikipedia ones (a
"stable" Wikipedia article is an oxymoron anyway).

>If Wikipedia is not simple enough, not easy
>enough to use for the kind of experts who
>can help in certification, then it seems we
>should make it simple enough -- perhaps by
>having a special skin for the purpose.
>See, my main concern is about having
>separate communities.

We already have the experts - let's use them in Nupedia, revive the Nupedia
brand as a stable, experted-approved distribution of Wikipedia and that will
attract even more experts. All editing will still be on Wikipedia so every
Nupedian is also a Wikipedian. I see this as setting-up great synergies
between the two projects.

>I feel that getting the experts hooked
>on Wikipedia might be way cooler.

See above.