[Wikipedia-l] Re: Censorship at meta

Brion Vibber brion at pobox.com
Sun Jan 19 18:30:47 UTC 2003

On dim, 2003-01-19 at 04:39, Daniel Mayer wrote:
> On Sunday 19 January 2003 04:00 am, Anthere wrote:
> > Ah, sorry, I probably should have sent this both to
> > the main and the tech. There are both a tech and a
> > policy issues here...
>
> How is it a policy issue when it was your browser that inserted the huge
> amount of whitespace in the page in question? My response is where it should
> be - on Wikitech.

It's a policy issue because you appear to be advocating the policy that
edits by someone with a broken browser should be reverted with
prejudice.

If we can correct the problem automatically, nobody'd ever have to know.
If we can correct it manually, that should be enough -- make the fix,
and note the problem so the user can work around it if possible.

If we can't correct it at all (eg, page cut off half-way), only _then_
should we get into the realm of completely reverting pages for technical
reasons. But if there are legitimate changes in the part that made it
through, we should still keep them...

As much as it's tempting to tell people to not come back until they
upgrade their computer, they're not always willing or able to do so. Not
allowing them to edit is perhaps not _quite_ as morally repellant as
kicking a grandmother in a wheelchair down the stairs, but I still
wouldn't recommend it.

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)