[Wikipedia-l] Copyright and web cams

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Wed Jan 1 21:38:03 UTC 2003

I was looking for supplementary material regarding the [[Quetzal]]
article, and ended up with a copyright question.

An organization maintains a web-cam in front of a hummingbird feeder in
Costa Rica.  Most of the time there are no visitors to the feeder.  On
one occasion I find a great specimen has come to feed, and I save the
picture.  Although the owner of the web-cam maintains an archive, I have
made a point not to use an archived picture.

The question:  Does the owner of the web cam have any copyright claim on
the picture that I have downloaded?  I suspect not, because he made no
creative effort to shoot that particular picture.  I would be interested
in other opinions.

Eclecticology