[Wikipedia-l] Copyright question

Jimmy Wales jwales at bomis.com
Wed Jan 1 13:46:46 UTC 2003

I agree with all the other comments.  We don't have to worry about
this very much.  If there is a sentence of introduction, like "Here is
a stupendous and fancy list of the Governors-General of New Zealand,
which we present to you with our most artistic flair" then that
*sentence* could be copyrightable, so we shouldn't use those exact
words.

But the list itself is just facts, and we're on solid ground using
those.

For some types of information, a cite is a courtesy and the
professional thing to do.  But for simple lists of historical facts,
even that is completely unnecessary.  We can get the data from multiple
sources and, ultimately, we should check the data against multiple
sources.  No one owns such.