[WikiEN-l] Contest and quality

Gregory Maxwell gmaxwell at gmail.com
Wed Sep 13 09:58:48 UTC 2006

> On 9/12/06, David Gerard <dgerard at gmail.com> wrote:
> > To reach 100,000 FAs or GAs - at which point we could in fact look
> > Britannica in the eye on quality - will take a parallel process that
> > isn't turned into stupid amounts of effort for little or no reward.
>
> Wikipedia is not popual due to it's FAs and GAs. It's popular becuase
> of it's good enough articles.

Since when was did being "popular" become a goal of the project?

(I used scare quotes around popular because I don't think I've ever
seen data that suggests that we're the most popular resource in any
way other than web traffic.  ... and if you think that webtraffic is a
good metric, pause for a moment and consider that MySpace whoops our
ass in that regard.)