[WikiEN-l] SPUI requesting unblock

Erik Moeller eloquence at gmail.com
Fri Jun 30 09:37:57 UTC 2006

On 6/30/06, SPUI <drspui at gmail.com> wrote:
> I created it to see what would happen if I kept increasing the font
> size. I kept it around because I found it amusing.

The moment something outside the encyclopedia space which you merely
find amusing becomes disruptive and annoying to other editors, there's
little justification to keep it around. Certainly disk space is not
one. You could have demonstrated maturity and blanked the page
yourself. Instead you reverted the MFD notice, put a big "jajaja" text
on your user page, and commented on MFD itself: "If it crashes
Firefox, maybe you should use a non-broken browser. "

Don't get me wrong. It is legitimate to experiment and try to
determine whether there are HTML instructions that might crash or
freeze common browsers. This should be done in a subpage clearly
designated for that purpose, such as [[/Browser crash test]]. If you
then can reproduce certain behavior, you can report a bug -- either
for the browser, or for MediaWiki to filter these instructions.

Asking community members to help you with such an effort to test
problematic browser behavior is a positive way to contribute on the
technical level. What you have demonstrated, however, is not mature
behavior, and I support the (one week) block being upheld for the time
being, at least until you acknowledge this.

Erik