[WikiEN-l] Exit Interview -- Jon Awbrey

Jon Awbrey jawbrey at att.net
Fri Jun 30 04:40:25 UTC 2006

o~~~~~~~~~o~~~~~~~~~o~~~~~~~~~o~~~~~~~~~o~~~~~~~~~o

Rosa, Michael wrote:

> On 29 Jun 2006 at 14:14, Jon Awbrey <jawbrey at att.net> wrote:
>
> > For example, under the proper ordering of priorities a
> > statement that is relevant and sourced should not be deleted
> > in favor of an opinion that is unsourced just because the
> > source is not the favorite writer of 2 or 3 editors or because
> > the sourced statement contradicts the personal POVs of 2 or 3 editors.
> > But this is actually the routine way that things are done in WP.
>
> Cite please - preferable at least a dozen or so of examples, they should
> be easy to find if this is really the "routine way" of doing things on
> WP.  This is a persistent, recurrent and systematic pattern in your
> emails that I have observed, you describe something that you claim is
> taking place without giving any specific and real-life examples.
>
> Cheers,
> Michal

It's late here, so here is one recent example of what I mean.

Article:  Truth.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Truth

Section:  Consensus theory.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Truth#Consensus_theory

Edit: 01:30, 29 June 2006 FeloniousMonk (Talk | contribs) (rv to the last reasonable version)
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Truth&diff=61119905&oldid=61075749

This section had no sources at all for as long as it existed, so I went looking for some.
The ''Cambridge Dictionary of Philosophy'' has no entry for "consensus theory of truth".
The ''Dictionary of Philosophy'' ed. by Runes has an entry under "consensus gentium"
that says it is Latin for "agreement of people", that it is "a criterion of truth"
to wit, "that which is universal among men carries the weight of truth".  When
I wikied "consensus gentium", it turned out it was a synonym for "argumentum
ad populum", and listed as a fallacy.  Inconvenient for a criterion of truth,
maybe, but I play 'em where they lie.  I added the reference to the article,
added corrections and details to several other references, and I also placed
{{fact}} tags on two unsourced claims of attribution.  All of these edits
and maintainance tags were reverted by Feloniuous Monk with no excuse but
"rv to last reasonable version".

Jon Awbrey

inquiry e-lab: http://stderr.org/pipermail/inquiry/
wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/user:Jon_Awbrey