[WikiEN-l] Spoiler Boilerplates

Steve Bennett stevagewp at gmail.com
Sat Jun 24 01:57:12 UTC 2006

On 6/24/06, Zero <megamanzero521 at yahoo.com> wrote:
>  Its somewhat similar to the premise of a mother giving her lad a jacket  in the wintertime without asking him if he desired one. Do we really  assume our readers are that stupid...? If you see a header called  "Plot" and there's three pharagraphs below it, then its obvious what  lies within. This template is incredibly redundant.

Yes, you totally expect the plot. But, how would you know if the
surprise ending is going to be revealed? How would you know that there
*is* a surprise ending? Currently, you end up skipping the entire
section (or the article) just to be sure.

It's really not redundant. Some films and books contain events that
"spoil" the book once they're revealed. Some don't.

>  If there were previously some sort of a mass request where millions of  readers requested this nonsense, advocating it assisted them in the  informative reading of an encyclopedia, then I could possbily  understand. Currently, it gives the entirely wrong impression of what  an encyclopedia is and what its attempting to convey. This isn't a  networking site.

Yes, wikipedia isn't myspace.com. So what's your point?

Steve