[WikiEN-l] Jimbo's rule, copyright, old images with permission only

Pedro Sanchez pdsanchez at gmail.com
Thu Jun 22 17:46:12 UTC 2006

Revisiting http://mail.wikipedia.org/pipermail/wikien-l/2005-May/023760.html
and checking the long long long list of images at [[Category:Images
used with permission]] there are many of them kept becuase they were
uploaded before such date.

It's been more than a year since the ruling, I believe older images
weren't removed in order to let uploaders tag them properly, find
replacements, or so they could be processed at the old Vfd.

Quoting Jimbo

"It is very unfortunate that such images are still being uploaded _new_
when we have not be happy about them for a long time.  It is not fair to
contributors who are working on such things, since we have no intention
to keep them in the long run."

Well, if in the long run they have to go, it could start now. So, I
was wondering why aren't they being processed yet.  I'm thinking of
nominating batches of them at IFD every certain time. On the other
hand, however [[WP:IFD]] is clogged, so I was a bit hesitant about
doing so without more feedback.

Thus I created [[User:Drini/OldCopyrightedImgs]] which has a small
sample for the first bacth and shows how I would be nominating them. I
tried to sample different kind of images (uploaded by the webmaster's
site, by random users, by respected old users, without source,
orphaned images, etc) so we can get an idea what we're dealign with.

Still, IFD is overloaded, so maybe better alternatives can come up?
Maybe a IFD-like for this kind of images?

Jimbo, what's your current view about such things?