[WikiEN-l] Oversight log

James user_jamesday at myrealbox.com
Thu Jun 22 17:26:19 UTC 2006

On 6/22/06, James <user_jamesday at myrealbox.com> wrote:
> > Complete log including revision text to all administrators (and
> > action, including removal of the full view capability from the
> > administrator concerned, taken if an administrator misuses the
> > capability) and the former incomplete censored one without the
> > contents of the text available to all.
>
> Wow, so thousands of people can now see the libellous or personal
> information that the tool was intended to remove in the first place?
> Sounds completely self-defeating.

That's fine when its those administrating the project - the project
administrators - who are able to see it to carry out their role.

> > That makes it pretty easy for anyone to question an act and any
> > administrator (perhaps the one they trust most) to check on it and
> > reassure them that it merited removal.
>
> Great, thousands of queries constantly coming in now, from any of
the
> tens of thousands of Wikipedia editors, so that we can further
spread
> the damage.  "Oh, turns out X removed information stating that
> politician Y is a serial rapist.  Pass this on to anyone else who
> wants to know."

I trust that you would instead say "I've looked and the removal
accords with this (specified) policy of xx Wikipedia".

> > And revisit perhaps in the event that we see a regular pattern of
> > problems arising from this. Could happen; we'll see.
>
> What is likely to happen is a regular pattern of querelous and
> tendentious questioning of any deletion done, followed by inevitable
> leakage of whatever damaging stuff was deleted in the first place.

I suggest you see the proper reply above and use that instead of the
one you suggested. As for the questioning, that's a good thing - we're
_supposed_ to have our actions questioned. It's part of what oversight
is about.

James Day