[WikiEN-l] Oversight log

jayjg jayjg99 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 22 17:15:30 UTC 2006

On 6/22/06, James <user_jamesday at myrealbox.com> wrote:
> Complete log including revision text to all administrators (and
> action, including removal of the full view capability from the
> administrator concerned, taken if an administrator misuses the
> capability) and the former incomplete censored one without the
> contents of the text available to all.

Wow, so thousands of people can now see the libellous or personal
information that the tool was intended to remove in the first place?
Sounds completely self-defeating.

> That makes it pretty easy for anyone to question an act and any
> administrator (perhaps the one they trust most) to check on it and
> reassure them that it merited removal.

Great, thousands of queries constantly coming in now, from any of the
tens of thousands of Wikipedia editors, so that we can further spread
the damage.  "Oh, turns out X removed information stating that
politician Y is a serial rapist.  Pass this on to anyone else who
wants to know."

> And revisit perhaps in the event that we see a regular pattern of
> problems arising from this. Could happen; we'll see.

What is likely to happen is a regular pattern of querelous and
tendentious questioning of any deletion done, followed by inevitable
leakage of whatever damaging stuff was deleted in the first place.

Jay.