[WikiEN-l] newbie culture

Steve Bennett stevagewp at gmail.com
Sat Jun 17 10:51:13 UTC 2006

On 6/17/06, Arwel Parry <arwel at cartref.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> The practice of repeatedly issuing "final warnings" has to stop - you
> can just see the vandals laughing at you (sometimes literally) when
> nothing ever happens. Issue warnings, then a final warning, and if they
> don't improve their behaviour, block them.

It would be good if we could put users on probation. Occasionally I've
taken the effort to track a vandal, watching and reverting their
edits. But it would be nice to be able to say "this user's next edit
is 90% likely to be vandalism, hence, let's screen it *before* it goes
live". All the edits of probationary users could appear on one screen,
and people watching that list could pick out the occasional good ones
to let through, much like moderating a mailing list.

Steve