[WikiEN-l] newbie culture

Arwel Parry arwel at cartref.demon.co.uk
Sat Jun 17 09:55:56 UTC 2006

In message <4493629A.5020100 at student.canberra.edu.au>, Mark Gallagher
<m.g.gallagher-oe7qfRrRQfc+7vVa2Y8Ptdf8k/1jCSAM at public.gmane.org> writes
>> On 6/16/06, *Ryan Delaney*
>><ryan.delaney-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
>> <mailto:ryan.delaney-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org>> wrote:
>>
>>     Frankly, I can't believe you are getting so worked up over this.
>>     Life would probably be a lot less stressful for you if you didn't
>>     take this personally. They think they are doing the right thing,
>>     after all.
>>
>> By the way, I think that admins block users way too fast and should use
>> warning templates a lot more than they already do. I would say that at
>> least half of the time I use them, the user stops vandalizing before a
>> block is required.
>
>I agree that admins block users too fast, and should use *warnings* more
>than they do.  The templates can be a means to that end --- a help in
>warning people.  But they shouldn't be considered synonymous with the
>word "warning".  Sometimes they're appropriate, often they're not.
>Usually speaking in your own words and addressing the situation directly
>will get you further than following the {{test}} series ever did.

I have to differ. I think admins are often far *too* lenient with
repetitive vandals - I long ago lost count of the number of times I've
gone to a vandal's talk page to issue a warning and found up to a dozen
consecutive "final" warnings; in that case I will block immediately
without any hesitation, and the worse record the vandal has, the longer
I will block for.

The practice of repeatedly issuing "final warnings" has to stop - you
can just see the vandals laughing at you (sometimes literally) when
nothing ever happens. Issue warnings, then a final warning, and if they
don't improve their behaviour, block them.

--
Arwel Parry
http://www.cartref.demon.co.uk/