[WikiEN-l] User Protection Fund

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Mon Jun 12 03:40:08 UTC 2006

Phil Sandifer wrote:

>It's common enough sense that Wikipedia is going to get sued someday.
>And I know we've been preparing financially for that.

How big is the contingency fund for this?

>But with the rise of Brandt, Wikipedia Review, and whatever is going
>to come after them in this progression, the fact of the matter is
>that admins and regular editors are in danger too. Not just legal
>danger (As I assume the Foundation would use its legal resources to
>protect an admin who was sued), but personal danger.

Don't count on it..

>When it does, there should be a fund to help - whether its helping
>with the medical bills of someone who's physically attacked, helping
>with the legal bills of someone who's trying to stop a stalker, or
>helping defray the costs of someone who's fired because of harassment
>at their workplace, Wikipedia needs to be able to help the volunteers
>who are put in danger by helping Wikipedia.

This should perhaps be left to the national chapters.  Legal costs vary
considerably from one country to another.  Some countries have better
protection available against wrongful dismissal.  Medical costs can be
excessive in a country that does not have a properly funded public
medical insurance system.

Ec