[WikiEN-l] To: Jimmy Wales - Admin-driven death of Wikipedia

Garion1000 garion1000 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 9 22:31:32 UTC 2006

On 6/9/06, Kelly Martin <kelly.lynn.martin at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 6/9/06, geni <geniice at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Not really. No one wikipedian could really effect something with that
> > much inertia.  With admins picking up increaseing control RFA is one
> > of the last ways none admins can really infulence the project.
> > Realisticaly you are looking at a cold dead hands situation if you
> > want to remove it.
>
> Exactly why it needs to be removed now before it becomes completely
> entrenched.  First we started getting people who wanted adminship to
> have control, and now they have adminship, and are taking control.  We
> should have stopped this a year ago, but we weren't paying attention,
> and now we have a lot of bad admins to show for it.

What do you want to use instead? Personally I don't mind RFA that much.
Although I do think the editcountis is getting out of hand. When I started
looking at it in september I think, the limit most people used was 1000
edits, now I already see oppose votes for less then 3000 edits.

If we have bad admins, perhaps it should be made easier to de-admin them. I
do agree that this should not be done by the community, since that could
turn out to be a lynching. (userbox issue for instance) Perhaps by arbcom?
They don't seem to be that busy anyway. :)

Garion96