[WikiEN-l] cancelation of the deletion review of the satanism userbox

Delirium delirium at hackish.org
Thu Jun 1 21:51:25 UTC 2006

Jesse W wrote:

>On Jun 1, 2006, at 2:38 PM, Delirium wrote:
>

>>I can't say I myself see much problem with people saying on their
>>userpages what their religious beliefs are.
>>

>This is a semi-straw man argument.  Userbox templates *ARE NOT ONLY ON
>USER PAGES*.  If they were, the conflict (while possibly still present)
>would be vastly reduced.  Userbox templates are a number of other
>places as well as being on userpages.  Specifically, they are 1) In
>Template space. 2) In subpages of Wikipedia:Userboxes.  I look forward
>to your thoughts on the degree of problems (or lack of such) of having
>people say what their religious beliefs are in the two places I
>mentioned.  Thanks!

I guess I don't see those as "being" anywhere.  Template space and lists
of templates are implementation details, not articles.  As far as
neutrality goes, I don't see a particularly large problem with a giant
list of all possible opinions anyone could hold.  In fact that seems
like a pretty neutral way to do it!

That's not to say I think userboxes serve any useful purpose, but I
don't think either #1 or #2 you list are good objections.

-Mark