[WikiEN-l] cancelation of the deletion review of the satanism userbox

Delirium delirium at hackish.org
Thu Jun 1 21:45:58 UTC 2006

Delirium wrote:

>I can't say I myself see much problem with people saying on their
>userpages what their religious beliefs are.  Some (like "I'm a
>Satanist") will offend people, but then so do a lot of things ("I'm
>gay", for one), and I'm not sure proscribing them all helps the project
>of writing an encyclopedia more than it harms it.

I should add, by way of making clear I'm actually on the other side of
the "userbox wars", that I *do* think deleting all userboxes except
possibly the babel ones might help the project of writing an
encyclopedia more than it harms it.  Not because some are
"disreputable", but because people can just as well write things on
their userpages without templates, and we can be free of this whole
distracting mess.

-Mark