[WikiEN-l] Image:Wp ayb.gif

Matt R matt_crypto at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Jan 20 16:07:06 UTC 2006

--- Chris Jenkinson <chris at starglade.org> wrote:

> Because fair use images are fundamentally against the principles of a
> free content encyclopaedia. If a fair use image isn't improving an
> article, or if there is a replacement free image, then the fair use
> image should be deleted with impunity. Each fair use image on Wikipedia
> hinders our efforts to create a distributable free content encyclopaedia.

You're confusing user space with article space. User pages are *not* the
distributable free content encyclopedia. User pages are part of the framework
which builds the distributable free content encyclopedia.

There is a perfectly reasonable goal of avoiding fair use images in *articles*,
wherever possible. As I understand it, we also remove most Fair Use images from
user pages because we normally don't have any decent Fair Use rationale for
using them there. However, as a parody, we do have a rationale for the AYB
image.

It's a good thing to keep a few fun things on Wikipedia outside of the article
space. It's a good thing to be wary of fair use images. It's a bad thing to
delete humour because of misplaced "fair use" political correctness.

-- Matt

Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Matt_Crypto
Blog: http://cipher-text.blogspot.com