[WikiEN-l] Image:Wp ayb.gif

Chris Jenkinson chris at starglade.org
Fri Jan 20 15:46:28 UTC 2006

Matt R wrote:
> I feel we've got this backwards. We've set about removing fair use images from
> user pages because we usually don't have a fair use rationale for them; OK,
> that's reasonable. We avoid fair use images in articles if we can  because we
> want to be as free as possible -- again, completely reasonable. However, when
> we do actually have a solid fair use rationale for using an image on user
> pages, and it's a piece of community humour, why then should we remove it? It
> just seems like the tail wagging the dog.
>
> My apologies; I don't think this is worth this much debate, but it ticked me
> off.

Because fair use images are fundamentally against the principles of a
free content encyclopaedia. If a fair use image isn't improving an
article, or if there is a replacement free image, then the fair use
image should be deleted with impunity. Each fair use image on Wikipedia
hinders our efforts to create a distributable free content encyclopaedia.

Chris

--
Chris Jenkinson
chris at starglade.org

"Mistrust all in whom the impulse to punish is powerful."
  -- Friedrich Nietzsche, Thus Spoke Zarathustra