[WikiEN-l] Re: Fair use images on user pages and enforcement

Fred Bauder fredbaud at ctelco.net
Wed Jan 18 15:37:11 UTC 2006

Suppose that an image can be considered fair use because it is used
for educational purposes, say in the article Tiananmen Square
protests of 1989 where the image Image:Tianasquare.jpg

is said to be fair use under the following rationale:

The use of this historic photograph in Wikipedia is claimed to be a
fair use of the image under United States copyright law for the
following reasons:
This photograph depicts a non-reproduceable historic event.
The image is used for educational purposes only in a non-profit
encyclopedia.
The image is no larger and of no higher quality than is necessary for
the illustration of an article.
The use of the image on Wikipedia is not expected to decrease the
value of the copyright.

If you put that image on a user page, easy to imagine someone doing
so, the the educational purpose which is the foundation of the fair
use justification, vanishes.

That said, this is a tempest in a teapot in most cases. Except for
rare instances, no one is complaining and there is a lot of bad
feeling as getting after the fair use images on someone's user page
feels like you are getting after them personally.

Fred