[WikiEN-l] Fair use images on user pages and enforcement

Steve Bennett stevage at gmail.com
Fri Jan 13 07:11:50 UTC 2006

> heavy-handed with them in requesting removal. A page for this
> would be
> more friendly, and a message could be added something like
> "Hi, you have
> fair use images on your page, Image:X.png and Image:Y.jpg.
> These are not
> permitted to be used on user pages. Please read
> [[Wikipedia:Why fair use
> images are not permitted on user pages]] for more information on why
> this is the case."

Hi, you're using a copyrighted image in a way which actually isn't "fair
use". We're allowed to use certain copyrighted images in Wikipedia
strictly within the terms of "fair use", such as criticising the image.
But we can't just use them everywhere without violating the owner's
copyright. Sorry, but could you please remove the image as soon as
possible. [link link link]

Get heavy handed when they refuse to comply (like {test1}, {test2} etc)

Steve