[WikiEN-l] Re: How to bring back people who don't want to bother?

Michael Snow wikipedia at earthlink.net
Fri Jan 13 06:49:07 UTC 2006

Andrew Gray wrote:

>On 12/01/06, Michael Snow <wikipedia at earthlink.net> wrote:
>

>>But the size of the community is definitely making the adjustment
>>process more chaotic and dysfunctional. A couple months ago, I estimated
>>that the functional size of the English Wikipedia community was
>>equivalent to a town of 15,000 people. It might be as much as 20,000
>>now, though due to the change in procedure for the Arbitration Committee
>>elections, I'm unable to update my method of estimating this.
>>

>Incidentally, 20,000 is a largish university. It may be a better
>analogy than a town, in many ways... but on the other hand, it's far
>past the level at which an informal collegiate system works.

Indeed, colleges and universities are far more rigid and structured even
when small in size. But that's partly because their workflow and product
requires it - imagine if the curriculum and awarding of degrees
proceeded as haphazardly as Wikipedia article development.

In terms of mission, I agree that we might have more in common with a
university than a town. But my focus was more on the social and
political aspects, and there I still think the town is a stronger
analogy. Though there is no denying that politics happens at colleges
and universities, too.

--Michael Snow