[WikiEN-l] Proposal on userbox disagreement

Tony Sidaway f.crdfa at gmail.com
Wed Jan 4 03:30:45 UTC 2006

On 1/4/06, Conrad Dunkerson <conrad.dunkerson at worldnet.att.net> wrote:
> SCZenz wrote:
>
> > 1. The userbox wikiproject go through and get rid of all userbox images used
> > that have inappropriate copyright permissions for userpages, including fair
> > use images.  Likewise they make sure there are no meta-template issues in
> > the userboxes.  The Wikiproject agrees to police these problems itself in
> > the future.
>
> As I understand it, they have been working on both of those tasks for a
> while now. The huge spike in userbox edits in December was due to these
> folks going through and replacing all 'userbox' templates with 'user'
> templates and updating them on the page of every person using them.

May have been *partly* responsible for that spike.  But when I look at
the belief-based user boxes and discover that 41 out of 44 listed did
not even *exist* before December, and moreover a large proportion were
created over the Christmas and New Year period, I get a very different
picture.  No, it's a massive growth in the number of userboxes.

>From the above figures we can see that the growth in political
userboxes, whose *sole* purpose is to link an editor into a handy
group that enables them to operate as a political bloc, has been some
tenfold.

They must die.