[WikiEN-l] Proposal on userbox disagreement

Conrad Dunkerson conrad.dunkerson at worldnet.att.net
Wed Jan 4 02:11:54 UTC 2006

SCZenz wrote:

> 1. The userbox wikiproject go through and get rid of all userbox images used
> that have inappropriate copyright permissions for userpages, including fair
> use images.  Likewise they make sure there are no meta-template issues in
> the userboxes.  The Wikiproject agrees to police these problems itself in
> the future.

As I understand it, they have been working on both of those tasks for a
while now. The huge spike in userbox edits in December was due to these
folks going through and replacing all 'userbox' templates with 'user'
templates and updating them on the page of every person using them.
Basically... they're a pretty organized crowd over there so I expect
these meta-template and copyright issues will be sorted out in fairly
short order.

> 2. Kelly Martin aknowledges that there are many serious contributors who
> like userboxes, so her decision to delete userboxes in defiance of those
> contributors' opinions was an overreaction.
>
> 3. We all go back to the live-and-let-live attitude that lets us write an
> encyclopedia.

Heh... and people say I'm a dreamer. :]