[WikiEN-l] CVU -> WP:CVP? (was The Counter Vandalism Unit? Whaa?

Jay Converse supermo0 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 9 03:09:36 UTC 2006

On 2/8/06, The Cunctator <cunctator at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 2/8/06, Jay Converse <supermo0 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 2/7/06, Mark Gallagher <m.g.gallagher at student.canberra.edu.au> wrote:
> > >

> > > G'day Sherool,
> > > [CVU]
> > >
> > > No, we can't have that, it's *boring*.  We've gotta have fancy
> userboxen
> > > and copyvio logos and people declaring "war".  Otherwise, why would
> > > anyone even *bother* fighting vandalism?
> >  The difference is that RC Patrol is more of an idea, a job.  CVU is a
> > collection of people who subscribe to that idea and perform that job.
> >
> > That's the way I see it, anyway.
>
> That's yet another problem with the CVU. Every Wikipedian should be
> considered part of the collection of people who subscribe to the idea
> of keeping Wikipedia clean and neat. It's detrimental to have some
> people say "This is my job" because then everyone else goes "Goody!
> Now I don't have to worry about it."

This is endemic to Wikipedia because of its massive size.  No one person can
do every job on the site unless they stretch themselves so thin that they do
all of them poorly.

Also, you appear to be part of the "Goody! I don't have to worry about it."
crowd, after looking at your edits before and after what is an apparent
wikibreak.

The fact of the matter is that there are a LOT of people who have seen fit
to ignore the vandalism fight.  Some because they're simply better at other
things and find it a waste of theirs and others time to devote themselves to
something they're not as good at, some because they've done it for a while
and are tired of it, and others because of an apparent feeling that they've
been around so long that they'll let the peons do it for them.

--
Jay Converse
I'm not stupid, just selectively ignorant.