[WikiEN-l] Re: Why is this a problem

Daniel P. B. Smith dpbsmith at verizon.net
Mon Oct 17 01:13:29 UTC 2005

> From: Tony Sidaway <f.crdfa at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [WikiEN-l] VFU is utterly beyond hope
> To: English Wikipedia <wikien-l at wikipedia.org>
>
> On 10/16/05, geni <geniice at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 10/16/05, Brian Haws <brian at bhaws.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I agree, this insistance on process and instruction over common
>>> sense in VFU is very disheartening to me. And the proposed
>>> Deletion Review doesn't seem to be concerned about this, the goal
>>> seems to be making it as easy as possible to keep things deleted.
>>
>> well yes the alturnative is that any AFD that decides to delete will
>> be listed on VFU by it's supporters.
>
> Why is this a problem?

It's not a problem if you believe that articles are being deleted too
quickly and easily and generally favor slowing the process or making
it more difficult.

HYPOTHETICALLY, because nothing like this is happening in practice: IF

--there were general agreement that arguments on the merits of the
article were completely appropriate for VfU

--every article closed for deletion in AfD were systematically taken
to VfU

then the result would be that an article could not be deleted unless
it had basically been voted for deletion TWICE: once in AfD by 2/3
majority, then a second time in VfU by simple majority. In most
cases, of course, _all things being equal,_ an article getting a 2/3
majority in AfD would be expected to get a simple majority when re-
argued.

Unless the rules for VfU and AfD are asymmetrical, than VfU becomes a
pointless waste of time.

Discussion of the merit and content of the article should not be
mechanically excluded from VfU. But it should be limited to cases
where it can convincingly be shown _something has changed_ between
AfD and VfU that would lead one to believe that the people taking
part in AfD would probably have voted otherwise had they had known.

Articles that are _genuinely_ and _substantially_ rewritten just
before close of AfD (e.g "delete, delete, delete, delete, delete,
delete, delete, delete, comment: rewritten, keep, keep") would be one
example.

Or "Har Gobind Korhana is so kewl! I love his lecutres" followed by a
string of delete, non-notable prof", closed for deletion, someone
points out that it's a misspelling of Har Gobind Khorana who won a
Nobel prize.

Whatever the rules and practices are, VfU should be _different_ from
AfD and involve _different_ considerations. It should not just be
mechanical re-run of AfD to see whether the percentage of people who
think Jenny MacNabb is notable will turn out to be different.

Daniel P. B. Smith, dpbsmith at verizon.net
"Elinor Goulding Smith's Great Big Messy Book" is now back in print!
Sample chapter at http://world.std.com/~dpbsmith/messy.html
Buy it at http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1403314063/