[WikiEN-l] Re: article size

Delirium delirium at hackish.org
Mon May 23 17:54:29 UTC 2005

dpbsmith at verizon.net wrote:

> Incidentally, article size is one area in which "Wikipedia is not
> paper" serves us poorly. In the 11th edition of the Encyclopedia
> Britannica, the article on the Bible is approximately one megabyte in
> size. That decision was presumably made on the basis of style,
> organization, and readability. You can riffle through twenty pages a
> second or more and still glimpse running heads. And the articles in
> the old Britannica are so well-written that you can sit down with them
> and read them from beginning to end.

I think Britannica goes for a different style than we do, largely
because it *is* paper.  In a paper encyclopedia, cross-references are
much more of a hassle, and the reader can't flip between articles and
volumes in the click of a mouse.  Thus, articles tend to be longer and
fewer.  With Wikipedia, there's no trouble breaking up a major topic
like, say [[United States]], into an overview article with separate
articles on [[History of the United States]], [[Economy of the United
States]], and so on, because it doesn't place much of a burden on our
users to click through if they want the long articles.  Even the way we
format it---"Main article: [[History of the United States]]"---really
only makes sense in a hyperlinked encyclopedia.

It does bring up the interesting point that perhaps there should be a
little more editing in making a paper version besides just validating
articles.  For example, it might make sense to collate these all into
one article for print publication.

-Mark