[WikiEN-l] Non-commercial only and By Permission Only Images to be deleted

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Fri May 20 07:01:31 UTC 2005

Gregory Maxwell wrote:

>On 5/18/05, Jimmy Wales <jwales at wikia.com> wrote:
>

>>All images which are for non-commercial only use and by permission only
>>are not acceptable for Wikipedia and _will be deleted_.  We have
>>tolerated them for some time, but only as an interim measure during the
>>time when images which were previously not properly tagged could be tagged.
>>

>What about images from STOCK.XCHNG?   It's normal for the image
>authors on the site to label their images as "There are no usage
>restrictions for this photo." but the cite pretty clearly states that
>all downloaded images are subject to a list of rules, including:
>"# Selling and redistribution of these photos (individually, or as a
>whole) without written permission is prohibited. Using the photos in
>website templates, on postcards, mugs etc. doesn't count as selling or
>redistribution, however you are not allowed to build a gallery using
>the photos you downloaded from here.
># You are not allowed to use any of the images found herein for the
>purpose of spreading hate or discrimination, or to defame or victimise
>other people, sociteties, cultures.
># You are not allowed to use these images to promote adult oriented
>and dating services. The same goes for drug retailers!"
>
>If we're trying to harmonize the media in wikipedia under GFDL
>compatible licensing, then these may need to go, or at least have
>permission cleared with their authors.

I believe that the rule in law is that the specific overrides the
general.  In other words if the owner of the particular image wants to
allow a broader use than the site itself, that's fine.  Similarly, if
one of our contributors wants to give users a broader right than what
would be allowed by GFDL that's permissible.  Some have already done
that by invoking CC licensing.

Eccentric rules are often not enforceable.  The fact that the intent may
be commendable is not relevant.

Ec