[WikiEN-l] Non-commercial only and By Permission Only Images to be deleted

Matt Brown morven at gmail.com
Fri May 20 05:16:46 UTC 2005

As I've asserted before, stock.xchng has no legal standing to make
these conditions.  They are not the copyright holder, nor have they
been assigned any control over it.

Their terms and conditions are nothing to do with copyright permission
at all.  They are a (legally dubious) contract between stock.xchng and
the individual downloader ONLY, even if the terms are valid.  The
downloader is, notably, NOT made to apply these conditions to anyone
THEY give the image to.

The stock.xchng terms and conditions do not attach themselves to the
downloaded image.  They attach themselves to the person who does the
downloading.

Furthermore, when you upload an image to stock.xchng and make it
freely redistributable, you do not state that any conditions apply.
You click on a checkbox that says 'no restrictions'.

The terms of the download page form the entirety of the license
between copyright holder and downloader.

Given this, I would strongly suggest that removing stock.xchng images
becuase of a legally dubious "contract" that only binds the original
downloader and not subsequent reusers is premature.

Having said this, it wouldn't hurt to clarify with image owners and
remove all doubt.

-Matt (User:Morven)