[WikiEN-l] Live and Let live? Oh, really?

Robert rkscience100 at yahoo.com
Thu May 19 23:12:24 UTC 2005

Ed writes:
> This whole thing smacks of an "anti-religious agenda",
> rather than any sincere effort towards neutrality.
> When we couldn't agree on British vs. American spelling,
> we chose this solution:...
>
>...Ever hear of live and let live? Sheesh!

I am rather disturbed by the rather paranoid claims filling
this list that people are anti-Christian, and persectuing
Christians, and discriminating against Christians, etc.
These angry accusations are false, hurtful, and simply
disingenuous.  I can't believe that anyone seriously
believes that following NPOV and referring to dates in a
neutral way is meant as an evil plot against that poor and
few in number minority, the Christians....

It seems to me, rather, that some people are just venting
anger, as they refuse to let others "live and let live".
Frankly, for the majority of people on this planet who do
not worship Jesus as their God, messiah and saviour, it
makes no sense to force them to use religious Christian
terminology.  It is those who ask for a "live and let live
policy" who are being attacked, not the Christians.

I already have put up with enough abuse today, as several
of my fellow faculty and staff came - as well as many
students - in with T-shirts advertising "Jesus Day" at a
public school.  It had a motto that said that only through
Jesus will anyone find God, and that all others are doomed
to be without God (i.e. damned to Hell.)  Apparently being
in the vast majority is not enough for some right-wing
Evangelical Protestant Christians.  They have to push their
threats of damnation via religious proselytizing in public
arenas?!

I'm one step away from filing a complaint, as this clearly
constitues a hostile workplace environment.  And what's
next?  Jihad T-shirts from Islamists demanding that all
Americans accept Allah and the Quran?  Atheist t-shirts
from Communists demanding that all Americans accept Marx
and Engels?  That behaviour is just great...if you hate
your neighbor and want to start a religious war.

Let's stop pretending we have NPOV and that we tolerate our
fellow man, and let's start acting that way in practice.

Robert (RK)

I’m astounded by people who want to "know" the universe when it’s hard enough to find your way around Chinatown. - Woody Allen

Discover Yahoo!
http://discover.yahoo.com/online.html