[WikiEN-l] The schools table

Rick giantsrick13 at yahoo.com
Thu May 19 21:46:25 UTC 2005

--- David Gerard <fun at thingy.apana.org.au> wrote:
> Geoff Burling (geoff at agora.rdrop.com) [050519
> 09:58]:
> > On Wed, 18 May 2005, Tony Sidaway wrote:
>
> > > Notability is not really definable.  Jimbo has
> even suggested that it's a
> > > proxy for verifiability.
>
> > Last time I saw the word used on VfD, context
> suggested that it was the
> > equivalent of "another article about a teenager
> whose most important
> > achievement so far is not dropping out of high
> school, which was posted
> > by her/his friend or relative."
>

> Far too often I see it used to mean "it must not be
> important because I've
> never heard of it."
>
> (Not that I'm questioning in any way that almost
> everything that hits VFD
> needs to be killed with a very big axe.)

Far too often I see this straw man argument used to
villify people with good intentions.  I've seen far
too many times, "Keep it, it must be notable, I've
heard of it."  Isn't that just the other side of the
same coin?  Please refrain from making personal
attacks on the motives of people who make VfD
nominations.

RickK