[WikiEN-l] Re: Announcing a policy proposal

Bryan Derksen bryan.derksen at shaw.ca
Tue May 17 00:43:47 UTC 2005

Geoff Burling wrote:

>* That the only people who would resist using this style do so for
>reasons of faith. A straw man argument: I prefer "AD/BC" over "CE/BCE"
>because that was the style that I felt was the most authentic for me.
>I am currently not a member of any religion, although at one point in
>my past I did embrace neo-paganism.

For me, I prefer AD/BC over CE/BCE only because:
* It's harder to change one to the other with a simple typo.
* There's the same number of letters in each, which satisfies my
aesthetic sense.

That these reasons alone are sufficient to sway my preference on the
matter suggests to me that I don't consider the matter to be terribly
significant. :) However, since switching over to CE/BCE would entail
some rather major work fixing stuff in Wikipedia, I would strongly
oppose changing in either direction on that very basis - it's just not
worth it, IMO.