[WikiEN-l] Re: Announcing a policy proposal

Pete/Pcb21 pete_pcb21_wpmail at pcbartlett.com
Sun May 15 23:21:52 UTC 2005

steven l. rubenstein wrote:

> I am posting this on different talk pages, and want to inform the
> mailing list.
> I want Wikipedia to accept a general policy that BC and AD represent a
> Christian Point of View and should be used only when they are
> appropriate, that is, in the context of expressing or providing an
> account of a Christian point of view.  In other contexts, I argue that
> they violate our NPOV policy and we should use BCE and CE instead. See
> [[Wikipedia:Neutral point of view/BCE-CE Debate]] for the detailed
> proposal.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Neutral_point_of_view/BCE-CE_Debate
>
> There has already been a long and contentious discussion on the Jesus
> talk page, and it has gotten cumbersome.  It might get cumbersome to
> discuss this proposal here, too.  Anyway, in the very early stages of
> the debate, someone told me that rather than argue on the Jesus talk
> page, I should propose to change the policy.  Thus ....
>
> Steve

Ultra-short summary of previous debates:

Pro-CE) AD = "Year of Our Lord" thus is POV. Use CE.
Pro-AD) No AD is more widely used and WP is not a vehicle for advocacy
for change, so stick to AD.
Pro-CE) But that is ignorance. We should be correct and neutral, not
sheep-followers of the majority.
Pro-AD) I am not Christian nor ignorant, but still use AD as the
"standard". Adovacy is a bigger POV problem than origins of common terms
being POV.

Rinse and repeat with minor variations.

Result: Weak argument to agree to disagree and have the Manual of Style
  say that both styles are acceptable and it should be decided on a
page-to-page basis.

Now I am going to read the new debate and see what's new has been said :).

Pete/Pcb21