[WikiEN-l] Announcing a policy proposal

steven l. rubenstein rubenste at ohiou.edu
Sun May 15 22:43:07 UTC 2005

I am posting this on different talk pages, and want to inform the mailing list.
I want Wikipedia to accept a general policy that BC and AD represent a
Christian Point of View and should be used only when they are appropriate,
that is, in the context of expressing or providing an account of a
Christian point of view.  In other contexts, I argue that they violate our
NPOV policy and we should use BCE and CE instead. See [[Wikipedia:Neutral
point of view/BCE-CE Debate]] for the detailed proposal.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Neutral_point_of_view/BCE-CE_Debate

There has already been a long and contentious discussion on the Jesus talk
page, and it has gotten cumbersome.  It might get cumbersome to discuss
this proposal here, too.  Anyway, in the very early stages of the debate,
someone told me that rather than argue on the Jesus talk page, I should
propose to change the policy.  Thus ....

Steve

Steven L. Rubenstein
Associate Professor
Department of Sociology and Anthropology
Bentley Annex
Ohio University
Athens, Ohio 45701