[WikiEN-l] RE: Corrected (was: Abuse of your services)

Astrological Consulting arcturianone at earthlink.net
Thu May 5 23:00:12 UTC 2005

You OBVIOUSLY haven't a clue about the law:
Defamation= Injuring someone's character or reputation by making false and malicious statements about him to other people. The law recognizes a difference between defamation and mere criticism of an individual. Criticism deals only with matters that legitimately invite public attention or call for public comment. In contrast, defamation usually involves a person's private life and domestic affairs. Calling a woman a prostitute or a banker an embezzler, or an astrologer or consultant a fraud on a television, radio or usenet public forum are examples of defamation. The term defamation includes both libel and slander.

Black's law dictionary-Defamation="The offense of injuring a person's character, fame or reputation by false and malicious statements."
The "offense" is in the publication of the matter, so you are not "covered" just because you read it somewhere else first. You are safe ONLY if the statement is true. The best advice is to never say anything nasty about anyone.