[WikiEN-l] Re: Arbitration Commitee Seeking Comment

Dan Grey dangrey101 at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Jun 6 08:14:10 UTC 2005

--- Michael Snow <wikipedia at earthlink.net> wrote:

> The simplest thing that comes to mind is to put the
> Mediation Committee
> in charge of the Requests for comments page. I think
> this would, if we
> can get enough mediators with enough energy, help
> address structural
> issues with both processes.
>
> There are two major complaints made about RfC. One
> is that the page is
> poorly maintained and regularly swells to an
> unwieldy size. The other is
> that it's not terribly effective, because many
> requests do not succeed
> in drawing much comment from people outside the
> dispute. Each of these
> problems also tends to exacerbate the other.

Well, there's a couple of use who check and prune the
requests quite often, but there's a lot of active
disputes at any one time so the page is always quite
large :-).

There's nothing to prevent anyone who wants to 'have a
go' at mediation jumping in and doing it on RfC and
3rd opinion. I do it. It would be nice if more people
did it, too. Perhaps the wording of the pages could be
altered to encourage people to try and mediate, rather
than make "you're right/he's wrong" type comments.

Dan