[WikiEN-l] Re: Arbitration Commitee Seeking Comment

Michael Snow wikipedia at earthlink.net
Mon Jun 6 07:00:08 UTC 2005

Rebecca wrote:

>On 6/6/05, Michael Snow <wikipedia at earthlink.net> wrote:
>

>> As a result, I think that for us mediation is more likely
>>to be useful much earlier in the process, as disputes are only beginning
>>and before they have really had a chance to heat up. This would require
>>watching more closely for situations where mediation can help, and a
>>more interventionist approach from the mediators, rather than waiting
>>for cases to come to them.
>>

>Once again, I think that's very true - but how can we get a system
>where these conflicts are actually attended to that quickly?

The simplest thing that comes to mind is to put the Mediation Committee
in charge of the Requests for comments page. I think this would, if we
can get enough mediators with enough energy, help address structural
issues with both processes.

There are two major complaints made about RfC. One is that the page is
poorly maintained and regularly swells to an unwieldy size. The other is
that it's not terribly effective, because many requests do not succeed
in drawing much comment from people outside the dispute. Each of these
problems also tends to exacerbate the other.

If, to make mediation workable, we want it to happen earlier in the
dispute resolution process, we need something that will signal the
existence of a dispute to the mediators. Right now, what signal do we
have available? That's right, RfC, which is itself in need of attention
from mediator-types.

In particular, it would be great to have lots of mediators working to
solve the article content disputes on RfC. With more effort along these
lines, we might see fewer content-related issues going to arbitration,
and less pressure to come up with some kind of separate content
arbitration. Or, if content arbitration does indeed prove necessary,
their experience might help us know how to come up with better solutions
when we get there.

--Michael Snow