[WikiEN-l] Merry Christmas from Daniel Brandt

David Gerard fun at thingy.apana.org.au
Mon Dec 26 18:58:11 UTC 2005

Rob wrote:

> Brandt dug up an old webpage of mine, one which I
> assumed had been deleted by my alma mater.  I
> remembered the password and removed the pictures of
> myself and any personal information, and added a link
> to Google-Watch-Watch.  I guess that pissed him off,
> so now instead of linking to the page, Brandt has
> posted a copy of my page (prior to alterations) and
> the pictures on his own website. Advice on how to
> handle this would be much appreciated. Obviously this
> is a blantant copyright violation but I'm not sure
> what to do about this.

DMCA notice. Anyone from any country can send one of these. To him and
two levels of upstream. Possibly as a press release as well.

  http://www.holysmoke.org/ga/ga45.htm

- shows how [[Tilman Hausherr]] has successfully used DMCA notices sent
from Germany when Scientology-related organisations played fast and
loose with his photos.

The takedown provisions of the DMCA are a matter of great concern, but a
DMCA notice when someone is pretty damned clearly *ripping off your
stuff* is IMO quite morally sound.

- d.