[WikiEN-l] Merry Christmas from Daniel Brandt

Rob gamaliel8 at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 26 06:28:09 UTC 2005

Brandt dug up an old webpage of mine, one which I
assumed had been deleted by my alma mater.  I
remembered the password and removed the pictures of
myself and any personal information, and added a link
to Google-Watch-Watch.  I guess that pissed him off,
so now instead of linking to the page, Brandt has
posted a copy of my page (prior to alterations) and
the pictures on his own website. Advice on how to
handle this would be much appreciated. Obviously this
is a blantant copyright violation but I'm not sure
what to do about this.

It doesn't bother me that Brandt knows my name or my
face, as I've never been particularly careful about
protecting my identity.  My concern is: where does it
end?  What's next?  My address?  My place of
employment?  Google maps and satellite pics of my
house?  My credit report?  He's already got the names
of the *children* of another Wikipedian on his
hitlist.

"Ignore him" and "do nothing" are not options.  While
the "No, I'm Spartacus!" volunteering of personal
information to Brandt is a heartening display of
solidarity, it's not a sufficient response.  I
understand that there is a limit to what WP can do
outside its own cyberborders, and I understand that I
bear some responsibility for pissing off the wrong
internet nutcase, but we as a community must come up
with some sort of response to this type of harrassment
or we're going to lose good people whose only "crime"
is to edit an encyclopedia article in good faith.